Rated R. R=Recommended to all general population who have no life and have nothing else to do but crap and listening to me crapping.
Sunday, June 06, 2004
Close shave
Today,I have another shock of my life.Today is the third time I almost drown in water.There are people around the world who are dying due to lack of water.I am,on the other hand,ironically,almost claimed by the very thing which gives life to all the things around the world.Supposed to go swimming with SC but he fallen sick.Thus,I went alone in the morning.Bad choice to swim alone in a depth that is more than your height.No wonder,there's a must for buddy system in scuba diving.Never Dive Alone.And also Never Die alone.
What happen at the pool?Had a cramp in the third lane at the depth of 2 metre.OMG...Went down taking a lungful of water.I thought that's it.Kapai-kapai there and the life guard is nowhere to be seen.I don't know how I did it.Normally when you have cramp,you can't move due to the intense pain of the muscle pulling.But a lot of factor affecting pain as I studied in the BullShitBehavioural Science.There is still a lot of unfinished business.Not the time to die,not the time to drown here in this pool,in the absence of people I know.Straining every sinew in my arms and my cramped right leg,I swam under the surface of the water towards the side of the pool.Safety is so near,within sight.How many people had died when safety is so near?Not the time to think of that.Not the time to give up.The water in my lung and nose is really giving me great discomfort.Somehow,I seem to forget bout the water in my lung in and the need to take in a mouthful of air in the water.Impossible?There is a technique called hyperventilation in skin diving which is meant to try to override the brain's signal to the body to take in oxygen.Actually,there is still a bit of air in the lung but the brain's treshold is quite conservative,at least this is what is written in the scuba manual.Maybe determination can do the same thing to the brain.
Finally,I reached the side of the pool.I has never felt such an elation to reach the side of the pool before.Coughed out quite a bit of water at the side.Then only I see the lifeguard arriving.Shot me a glance then walk away from me.Rest for 15 minutes out of the pool before diving back in to do a few more laps before I went back.
Swimming isn't that dangerous.There are qualified life guard there.Even if you drown,there is duration of 4-6 minutes before permanent brain damage occurs due to hypoxia.CPR knowledge darn.....Why did I panic then?As usual,there is a lot of things not written in the book,things that can only learned through experience.
Lesson learnt-Never drown alone.....
Enough for the day's post.......