Friday, November 05, 2004

Pondering.....

I was just wondering whether those politicians go online to surf and read news,gossips or even blogs!!!Actually,I was just wondering how efficient our Ministry of Health can be if they keep themselves updated through www.medicine.com.my on current affairs of our public health and the medical personnels' grouses here in Malaysia.Maybe I shouldn't accuse them for not reading.If they do read it,why isn't there any fast action being taken to address the problems highlighted?If they did,again,there is A LOT of rooms for improvement. I was just wondering whether those businessmen go online to surf,read and update themselves.Actually I was just wondering how much their business can flourish if they keep in mind all the customers' grouses that are being voiced out in our ever-growing Internet community.I wondered whether I should be grateful for there are people like Jeff Ooi at www.jeffooi.com who tried to educate the typical Malaysians like me on consumerism.With him around,those businessmen who are monopolising are going to have a hard time coercing the ignorants. I am just wondering whether the many people behind their blogs are really the same person as they sound to be in the blog. On a totally unrelated thought,I wonder why there are so many people going to the media to ask for donation mostly for operations done at private hospitals.It is a known fact that there is a cheaper alternative available at public hospital.It is also a known fact that the waiting time in public hospital is legendarily long.So far,I haven't seen one appealing for money to do an operation at a public hospital though.This is despite the fact that some people just like us,whose blood is as red,can't even afford the RM 1 for the government clinic visits. At first,I thought my family is not that well to do compared to others.This thought occurs to me as my family decided not too long ago that the private specialist fee for my Granma's diabetic illness is too heavy to bear that we have to resort to the treatment and followup at a government hospital.The checkups done at the private specialist have totaled to a few thousands dollar if I am not mistaken.Maybe I am not doing any justice to the government health service by using the phrase "resort to."Anyway,here I want to say kudos and thank you to the medical personnels there for they have taken care of my Granma as well as they could given the much-publicised circumstances.It just took a bit longer and a little more trouble but my Granma was given the attention due her.To those who are appealing for donation through the media,I have nothing against them but I just want to remind you: For each appeal for donation to have an urgent surgery done at the private hospital,there are hundreds more other patients at the government hospital that need more attention than you think they warrant.Come to think of it,how many surgeries at a public hospital can you sponsor with the donation you collected for the treatment at a private hospital?Imagine the number of lives that can be saved?Live within your means,people.Yeah,but if you put me in their shoes,I might be singing the same tune as them.Hypocritical me.... I still remember one of the patient that I came across in the hospital I was attached to, who couldn't even afford the RM 38 for her ward stay.38 bucks.....That's less than what I spent every time I went Midvalley.I was thinking of paying for her but in the end I didn't.Sometimes,I thought to myself,am I lacking the humanity that I hope to see in others?Mirror can only tell me as much as my face,but not my heart.