Sunday, August 28, 2005

On D.O.T.A and....

...its physiology. What does D.O.T.A stand for? Well, for the uninformed, it is a synonym of Defense Of The Ancient,one of most popular map mods available on Warcraft 3: The Frozen Thone. Basically, it involves 2 teams of selected characters with a maximum cap of 5 per team, each with its own unique skills and attributes, trying to kill each other...I mean trying to outwit and flank opponent's characters while keeping yours alive. The main objective of the game?Well,it is not to kill each other actually,but to defend some structure that if destroyed, will cause a nuclear holocaust and armageddon in the game. Just kidding=) Of course, most of us will be so intent on revenging our characters that we will try to seek out each other jugular in the game. Moving to its physiology,since it involves sitting on a chair and playing the game on a desktop computer. The ilipsoas will flex the hip joint while the hamstring muscles (Semitendinosus,semimembranosus,ischial part of the adductor magnus & long head of biceps femoris) flex the knee joint to rest your ischial tuberosity on the chair comfortably. The erectores spinae will keep your body straight up though most of us tend to slouch and lean back on the comfortable chair. Got it? Now moving to the part which will determine whether you kill or be killed, the movement of the hand. As we are clicking mouse and typing on the keyboards. It will involve a lot of flexion and extension movements of the wrist and fingers. Firstly to keep your hand on the keyboard, you forearms need to be pronated by the pronator teres and pronator quadratos while your elbow is flexed by biceps brachii & brachialis. Then, the flexor digitorum profundus, flexor digitorium superficialis, lumbricals, extensor digitorium,extensor digiti minimi & the four dorsal interossei(to keep your fingers apart or abducted while typing) Sounds a lot but that's just the gist of it, see? DOTA is not as bad as you think. It involves a lot of work and coordination between your muscles and as well as your teammates. Wait, there's one more action I have not yet describe which happens quite often too. Keep your teeth and lip slightly closed,then blow a little bit of air out through your teeth and lip and continue in any way you think is creative - you can use adjective, noun, pronouns and literally any other words in the vocabulary. If you happen not to have any words in your vocabulary other than the word,you can always end it with a full stop or exclaimation mark. It seemed I still need to brush up my coordination a bit as most of the time I was just waiting for my character to revive. I Only Own The Frozen Throne!!!! Sometimes in the week,I was having a little revision with a friend of mine, D, D : Darn hard to remember all the nerves and muscles man. X : Yeah,I need a break, I am going to the toilet to wash my face a while Few minutes later, X : I realised something just now....... D : What?You have new items build for what hero this time?Exam coming and you still thinking of DOTA. X : Let me ask you, what does median nerve innervate? D : Darn,can't recall exactly but one of the few fingers don't know whether lateral or medial. X : Simple,the fingers I use to hold my dick,lateral 2 and the thumb.Median= my dick D : BWAHAHAHAHA X : ;) You learn something new everyday. I Only Own The Frozen Throne?Memonics I use for stages of gait.Thank me, guys:p Initial heel strike Opposite toe off Opposite heel strike Toe off Foot clearance Tibia vertical Signing off now, Xiao, the up-and-coming author for "D.O.T.A for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot Guide to D.O.T.A" Cheers and good luck to all in the MSK exam