Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Month Away From Home

Image hosting by Photobucket Camera : Sony DSC W-1 ; ISO200; f/2.8; 2 second exposure Somewhere near the Crown Casino in Melbourne Did anyone miss me or my bullshits here anyway?It has been a month since I have arrived in Melbourne. Guess what? It was my time on flight and destination is Melbourne. Nothing eventful actually happened during the most part of the flight. The dreaded "Mayday" didn't sound. The masks didn't pop down or anything. How to describe it? Hmm...got me thinking until I came up with something. It is like a bus ride on air. On second thought, a bus ride from KL to JB might just be more interesting than a flight. Well, at least I got to count the numbers of cars cutting queue using the emergency lane only to fight our friendly Traffic police waiting at the end of the lane. Can't suppress a chuckle at them at times. Serves them right nevertheless. But then again, they might just get away with it by becoming victims(or culprit?) of corruption itself. Or maybe a Honda-cup overtaking a BMW 3 series with the motorcyclist hanging on to it for his dear life. Or the bus overtaking the Honda-cup itself. So nothing much happened for the better part of the flight. No turbulence. No cases of AMI or emergency tracheostomy performed in flight. No delivery. Nothing. Zilch. Well, I must have imagined too much. Well, my first idea of flight when I was a kid was of those fighter jets. I wished I would become a pilot too then,despite the fact I don't even dare to get on a roller coaster and afraid of height. They sure look cool though. My interest in flights and planes continued until I was in secondary school when I started to realise it wasn't really a practical career and I got myopic,one of the big no-no I think in becoming a pilot. I think I am one of those few rare people who actually read the autobiography of the Wright brothers. I must be quite weird then,not to say I am not now. So now,I shall talk a bit about Melbourne. Well,where shall I start? Okay, Melbourne is quite a quiet place, much quieter than I expect it to be. There is a quite a big Asian community here.One can get quite a diversed range of Asian food here. Things here are definitely pricier as compared to Malaysia,unless you are earning your wage here on their term, you will be surprised at how cheap things actually are here. A good comparison would be,an hour worth of pay for part time jobs is enough to cover for 2 good meals here. I don't think you can get 2 meals worth if one works part time in Malaysia. Anyway,these are just my estimates. One thing I notice about their university here,is that, the lecturers take a lot of pride in their research activities and history. If I didn't hear wrongly, I think there is one Nobel prize laureaute or maybe a candidate working currently with them. I found out that people do ask a lot of questions here and they do ASK during ongoing lectures a lot actually as compared to those few crowding around the lecturer back in Malaysia. I guess it is part of the "Western" style or probably mentality of education. One good motto to live by here would be "thinking out loud," not mumbling to oneself for a change. Test in a week,signing off from Melbourne for the first time.