Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Anzac Day

Today is a public holiday for Australia and New Zealand,so I thought might as well do some update here,as urged by my dear Eugenia. So what is this ANZAC day all about?Did some searches throught wiki, our friendly web Mr Know-it-all. It stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps - ANZAC. Sounds a bit mitalitarist here, had a special day allocated to celebrate the army? Actually, the day is reserved to commomerate those who perished in the battle during the World War I,specifically the ANZAC,during the attack on the Gallipoli beach in Turkey.The ANZAC was the vanguard,as in being the first to rush to the battlefield.It is the D-day for the Australian and NZ army, like the D-day for Allied forces attacking German in France back then. However as Murphy's Law state, "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong",the navigators apparently screwed up then. Instead of landing at a coast where there is not-so-steep beach to advance,they landed at a coast facing a hill,tranlating a relatively walk by the seaside into an literally uphill task. From then on,the battle turned into a massacre of the invading army. It sorta reminds me of the Tugu Negara back in KL.The communists, Rundingan Baling and etc.Hmm....come to think of it,I haven't seen that Tugu for ages. Shall add to the things to do when I go back to Malaysia. I should be studying instead of reading some boring historical articles here. One more thing, just want to wish a Happy Belated Birthday to Yi Wei, Song and Sheena. Adios...