Monday, August 09, 2004

Second year in Medical School

Today,I have finally stepped into the second year in the medical school.It has been a tough one year behind me.I have thought of something when I was on my way back to KL on Sunday,about my previous ambitions last time,about those people you want to be when you grow up in the future.Although being a doctor features prominently in my listed ambitions since I was young and naive then,there are other things that have come into my mind before.
  1. Rocket Scientist/Astronaut - I used to have a very strong interest in the field of astronomy.I could list the planets and all the moons then.I have always thought that outer space is a very fascinating part of our life.Where does my inspiration come from?Part of it can be attributed to StarTrek,others include the science fiction I read.I had this wish to invent some spacecraft that can travel hundreds of times faster than current spacecraft.Kids like to dream right?
  2. Automotive Engineer - I was instilled this love for car by my Dad who had taught me over the years how to take care of a car well.I was his "co-mechanic."He always did the maintainence work all by himself if it is possible and I would be asked to help him as I am the eldest in my family.He would teach me along the way,why he did this,why he did that,what is this,what is that.I would listen noddingly,sulking most of the time for drawing me away from my sleep/TV/storybooks/games and etc.I love cars with futuristic look and speed.Of course,it would be even better if you can practically make your own dream car.
  3. Journalist/Freelance writer/Author - I have a very strong love for writing.I find that I can express my words and thoughts better through words.Not to say I am not a talkative person in real life,it just that,I find it is very fun to convey your message through interesting usage of words.I am always impressed by those writers who can use simple words which embbeded in them a very profound meanings.I think that it is very fun to be able to travel around,freeze a moment in life in your camera, and write what you see,feel or think about it.Of course,there are deadlines,editting,censorship and etc though.
  4. Mathematician/Hacker/Cracker - Mathematics was one of my favourite subjects,especially those questions that need you crank your brain to be able to solve it.The elation of finally finding the solution is one of the feelings I savour very much.This type of love for problem solving is useful for cracking code where determination and perseverance also come into play.It is a challenge that you can show that you can outsmart some other people.
  5. Web designer/Computer Technician/IT work - Design and creativity are not really my fortes.I think I am good at troubleshooting.You don't need much skill,I think you need a lot of patience,which I gladly say I have.I have strong interest in the working of the computers too.One of these days,I want to take up Flash,although my HTML coding is still below par.
  6. Lecturer/Teacher - Teaching in private sectors sure can make a lot of money.I am considering this because ONE friend of mine said that I can teach well,explaining difficult things in simple words.However,I doubt I can do much simplifying medical terminologies and etc to my fellow colleagues.

Hmm....I am currently in medical school.There are a lot of other things that I have consider before yet now I am in the process of becoming a doctor.On a more negative note,failing medical school I guess doesn't mean the end.There is always a possiblity of failing though.As one can say to those who have experienced failures before,"You don't fall from failure,you just don't get up from it."Think over it.I don't know it is making any sense.Can't think of any good quotes at the moment.Maybe these words of wisdom on one of my bookmarks will do

You can't change the direction of the wind,but you can adjust your sails to always reach your destination.