Rated R. R=Recommended to all general population who have no life and have nothing else to do but crap and listening to me crapping.
Friday, June 09, 2006
Names Again
The last post didn't quite come out as what I had in mind. I always have the propensity to lose focus on things I am doing. Anyway,on names,yeah English names,like Sheena,Elena,Tina,Xena,Zina,Kannina Some people I heard have some of the rather unique name,like Devil, Apple and etc. English names seem to help others to identify you more easily,especially in a generally English speaking community. Anyway,I used to ponder whether I should take up an English name as well,but in the end decided against it.Boys be boys,girls be girls,Xiao be Xiao although it can be quite ambiguous when calling out my name in a different tone or compelemented by different lah or ah. Example
Siao-ah!(in a rather frustated tone) = crazy-ah
Siao-ah?(questioning tone = is it Xiao?
Siao-ah=(calling Xiao)
Siao-lor= It is Xiao.
Siao-lor=Laugh lor
Hao Siao=Good Xiao
Hao siao=darn small
Hao siao=good laugh
one of the many examples,no doubt the first 3 definitely gave me a hard time interpreting what the other party really means.
Anyway,so there was once,when I was feeling rather mischievous,I identified myself with an English name. Well, in Coffeebean,after you order your drinks especially the ice-blended,you are required to wait for a while before they call you out loud to collect your ready drinks at the other side of the counter. Normally,it will be different people handling the drink and the cash counters.
So,one day,I thought,maybe I should try to adopt an English name,something different,something I haven't seen in my friends' names. Finally, I decided on one name. I went to the counter to order my drink and introduce myself as "Mcginnis." I have to repeat it a few times and the guy didn't quite catch it,and I finally I spelt the name for him. Hehe.....it is going to be a real trouble for the guy handling the drinks counter.
Then,while I was waiting there,it suddenly dawned on me,what if the guy mispronounce it and I have to get to the counter and collect it. All eyes in the cafe would be on me then. Darn. It may backfired.A few possiblities I thought of, he could come up with
"Mr Mengganas,Mr Mengganas" Darn.....
A friend of mine came up with a rather interesting way to pronounce it..
"Mr Manganese,Mr Manganese"
Unsurprisingly,she was a science student too.She even laughed at me for thinking of a name coming from the Periodic Table in chemistry.
Anyway back to the cafe,the moment of truth.The guy manning the counter hesitate a while before hollering:
"Mr Mac-Genies,Mr Mac-Genies"
Some stifled laughters were heard.
That must be my drink, for no one would have such a funny-sounding name,I thought.I quickly ran to the counter to collect my drink before all the searching eyes in the cafe pinpoint where that name was coming from. Darn...what did I get myself into then?
That would be that last time I am pulling such stunts.Anyway,the "correct" way I heard of pronouncing this name would be "Merck-Ga(i)n-Ness"