Sunday, September 26, 2004

"Holds the Fort,Xiao"

Yesterday the was chess competition for IMU Cup with the international chess and chinese chess being played simultaneously.Thus,though one is good in both events,he or she can't take part in both.I for one,took part in the international chess.I looked at both the international and chinese chess team of my batch.None of them that I don't know.I,for one and most of us,I believe,think that chess is played by those nerdy-looking anti-social katak di bawah tempurung who only come out in the sun just to get the vitamin D metabolism in his or her body going.I was wrong,very darn wrong.We have our batch's footballer,badminton,basketball players,swimmer who can run and jump with athletic agility.Okay,this may not include me. Anyway,back to the chess competition.Maybe I should let everyone know, 3 of the 4 members of our chess(international) team didn't know that the competition was held yesterday,of course before we frantically trying to reach each other to tell each other that the competition was going to be held in one hour time.kJ flew in with his while Ash,Grace and me reached on bare foot. The competition format is what we call round robin.6 teams divided into 2 groups where the top 2 from each group proceed. First Match vs Pharmacy.We went into the battefield with all guns blazing.All four boards won.4-0 to M203.I pawned the first guy kau kau Second Match vs M204.Come up with the junior that was in my orientation group.Tough matchup.Draw 2-2.Our star striker KenJ score one and Ash managed another from the jaw of defeat.I was defeated together with Grace with grace. We qualified for semifinals.An enormous achievement since "I have no professional training or whatsoever".Love this line made famous by Willie or AI.Thought M204 was tough,now we got an ever tougher matchup.Going up against 2 very strong(national?)player.We are a team of 4 so we are almost guaranteed to lose 2 boards.I stress,almost but not sure. 3rd Match vs M104.I was in the first board.Their first board is their strongest player while I am probably the weakest player among the 3 males in our team.kenJ can't beat that guy,kenJ said.So it is up to me to upset the odds.Going for a draw with my opponent will upset the balance considerably,favouring us,of course.This is something I learned in the Sun Tzu's Art of War."Spread your strength evenly.Pit your weakest against their strongest army.You may lose a battle but won the others and thus the war." I was using white.FYI,white starts first in chess and thus has the initiative to attack while black is normally a defensive play.White is not my best choice.My stronger play will be with black.He(my national level opponent?)started with a very unorthodox opening.Something that I have seen before but I couldn't quite recall.Must have been some very powerful opening that people used.I have seen that before.I sweat at the thought of it because I believe that it is one of opening the state level chess players that I have play against during my secondary, have used before against me.I lost then,needless to say.A bad sense of deja vu Anyway,I played defensively making sure not to commit any mistake.Against him,I think one mistake will be the last I make.My strategy is to gain material upperhand,and offering a draw.By midgame,I was still on par with him.Our loss are even- a bishop,a knight and a pawn.I think I have tested his patience with my cautious play.Then it happened.Blitzkrieg.He probed and probed my defense until he found a leak.In order to save my king and my day,I have to sacrifice a knight.With the material upperhand he got on me,and the skills and experience that I don't possess,his army was all over my board in the next few moves.I tried and tried yet his army keep coming.Losses getting heavier on each side though I am still the one with more losses than him.It will not be long before my defense crumble. The wall I put up cracks and falls and his queen wielded,in her delicate fingers, the artistically carved knife against my king's throat.Checkmate.I was the last man standing on that table.For once,I made full use of the time I have. The final score was 2-2 again with our trump cards Ash and kenJ scoring the vital points.Sadly and unfortunately, we lost based on the past points accumulated in the group stage.It is equivalent to Malaysia bowing out to Brazil in soccer through penalty shootout after the full time score levels at 2-2. Why do I feel like I was the victor of the day although I have lost?I guess I have done what I could and take the fight to them.This time,I was the underdog.